by: Anita Mack
The country is in turmoil in many ways over the last four months. Last Sunday I addressed the current subjects in my message “America and Church Looking for a Firm Foundation.” If you have not listened to the message, you can find it on our website. Members have noted that is was helpful to them in understanding not only what they were feeling, but found helps as they have conversations with family members and friends about current events from a Biblical perspective.
As the country and many parts of the world are experiencing a wide range of emotions and looking for answers, the church and Americans can be reminded that it is possible to build one’s life on either a firm foundation or on shifting sand. For followers of Christ, we build our lives on the “rock” the Word of God as found in Luke 6:46-49.
Everyone seems to be confused by the news that seems to be non-stopped and ever changing. For Christian, we read the paper (and the news) through the lens of the Bible, not the news from the many and varied lenses of culture.
In the sermon message, I explored several items.
3 Biblical Truths to Consider…
- If we want to place the foundation of our lives on rock, we must build it on THE TRUTH
- Truth and Love, must always go together.
- We are called to love, but never at the cost of Truth.
- As Christ Followers, we must not love the World.
Our Present National Situation…
I addressed our foundation and desire is to have Biblical response.
Several concepts and terms have proven to be helpful to address what is happening around us.
- Modernity – was significantly about Construction (rationale, logic, science, reason, but not God since you could not prove He existed with science)
- Postmodernity – was significantly about Deconstruction (individual personal truth, feelings, and making God in our image and based on our perspectives)
- Post Truth – world based not on truth(s), but one’s narrative and story
Understanding the elements of Critical Theory and how it is in direct opposition to Biblical teachings and the gospel message. Critical is thoroughly refuted in Colossians 3:11-17. This 5-6 minute video is quite helpful. https://whatwouldyousay.org/critical-theory-is-practical/
Christians can affirm truths from the Bible that…
- All lives matter, including the unborn – irrespective of sex, skin color or ethnicity, because all created in God’s image.
- Racism is a Sin
- Murder is a Sin
- Injustice is Wrong
The church and Christians cannot support any organization that has stated values and purposes that are inconsistent with Biblical teaching. This would include hundreds of organizations. Some leaders currently in the news have stated they are trained Marxist who are also trained community organizers. Marxism and the stated objectives do not align with the Bible.
Like every person in the world, their primary problem is sin, not skin. Their primary need is to experience salvation in Christ through faith and that is available to whosoever will come to Jesus.
What can Christians do?
- Pray – justice, peace, unity, governing authorities, spiritual awakening in our nation and God would help us with the individuals that cross our paths.
- Love our neighbors
- Vote… candidates whose positions align closest with God’s ways
- Intelligently approach social media engagement
- Support policies and actions that actually help
Written by Dr. Will McRaney
1 Comments on this post:
I really enjoyed this sermon, it gave me a better understanding about what is going on. Thanks!